Bachelor of Arts (General Degree Programme SLQF 5)
Bachelor of Education (Special Degree Programme SLQF 6)
The course of Education and Childcare of the Faculty of Arts and Culture is conducted by the Department of Education and Childcare of three years and four years duration of degree programme with two semesters per year. Students who are interested in reading general degree or special degree programme in Education will follow a course with two other core courses of their choice (for example; Education, Geography, and Economics whereas Geography and Economics are the core subjects of choice) in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd year of study programme.
The Bachelor of Education, generally known as B.Ed., is a four year professional programme in the field of Teacher Education which aims at preparing teachers for primary level (Grade1 to 5), junior secondary level (Grade 6 to 9), and senior secondary level (Grade 10 to 13). The four year B.Ed. Programme is designed to provide opportunities for students to extend as well as deepen their knowledge and understanding of Education, develop competencies and skills that contribute to make an effective teacher and to train and create equality human resource with positive attitude towards learners, leading to specialization in either primary education or secondary education. The B.Ed curriculum shall be designed to integrate the study of subject knowledge, human development pedagogical knowledge and communication skills. The Programme shall comprise three broad curricular areas: Perspectives in Education, curriculum and pedagogic studies and engagement with the field.
Objectives of the Programme
- To know the subject matter areas and create meaningful learning experiences based on this knowledge.
- To understanding of each student’s cognitive, social, physical, and emotional development and to create learning opportunities that support the student is academic development.
- To demonstrate pedagogical knowledge and skills and use this expertise to encourage each student to develop critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- To enable to create a classroom environment that facilitates learning and a climate that encourages fairness, positive social interactions, active learning, and self-motivation.
- To demonstrate effective verbal, nonverbal, written, technological, and media communication skills to support and enhance student learning
- To demonstrate an understanding of the role of assessment and the use of formal and informal assessment strategies to evaluate student learning
- To Evaluate the skills necessary for self-reflection and use this knowledge to analyze past experiences and pursue professional development opportunities
- To demonstrate the ability to collaborate with students, candidates, parents, community members, and professional colleagues in order to support student learning and development.
- To promote capabilities for inculcating national values and goals as mentioned in the constitution of Sri Lanka.
- To explain the nature of issues and problems faced by the state system of education and through some innovative remedies try to solve them.
- To develop experts of curriculum, pedagogy and evaluation for primary, junior and senior secondary education.
- To act as agents of modernization and social change.
- To promote social cohesion, international understanding and protection of human rights and rights of the child.
- To use competencies and skills needed for becoming an effective teacher.
- To be sensitive student teacher about emerging issues such as environment, population, gender equality, legal literacy etc.
- To inculcate rational thinking and scientific temper among the students.
- To develop critical awareness about the social realities among the students.
- To use managerial and organizational skills.
Intended Learning Outcomes
After completion of the course in Education & Child Care, students will be able to:
- identify childhood as a unique and valuable state of the human life cycle
- explain the quality of children’s lives in the present, not just as preparation for the future
- demonstrate with children with knowledge of child development and learning
- discuss and support the close ties between the child and family
- recognize that children are best understood in the context of family, culture, and society
- respect the dignity, worth, and individuality of each individual (child, family member, and colleague)
- Combine children and adults achieve their full potential in the context of relationships based on trust, respect, and positive regard.
Structure of B.A - General Degree programme
Currents status of the credit value of the General Degree Programme
Structure of the B.Ed - Special Degree programme