Master of Education (SLQF 9)
The Department of Education and Childcare offers Master of Education programs noted for its theory with research based coursework lead by dedicated faculty who are well recognized nationally and internationally for their research and talents. Our esteemed faculty will guide and prepare you in the breadth and depth of learning that will enable you to participate in high quality work that can impact practice and policy in your various fields of education and career paths.
All the subject contents have been designed to offer a dynamic and coherent postgraduate learning experience. Our programme should contribute to your studies being an effective and enjoyable period of professional development. Therefore, the handbook is intended as a guide to various aspects of the Master in Education programme offered by the Department of Education and Childcare. It has been designed specifically for Master in Education students of the Eastern University, Sri Lanka and it’s prepare educational leaders for learning environments such as classrooms, schools and other learning organizations in Sri Lanka.By the end of their studies, our postgraduates have not only enriched their knowledge but have also developed greater insights into what education can and should be. These insights enrich students' personal careers, but they are also important to society as a whole.
“To prepare students as Teacher Educators, Administrators and Researchers for various institutions engaged in Teaching, Educational Research and Educational Planning.”
The objectives for M.Ed. course are as follows:
- To prepare teacher educators and other education professionals including curriculum developers, educational policy analysts, planners, administrators, supervisors, school principals and researchers.
- To prepare professionals for teaching in colleges of education.
- To train professionals for psychological testing; personal, educational and vocational guidance; statistical analysis with an educational orientation.
- To orient students for participation in programmes of educational evaluation and examination reforms.
- To train professionals for organizing curriculum development and preparation of instructional materials.
- To prepare teacher educators through systematic study and research in order to contribute to the development of educational literature and lead to the growth of education as a discipline.
Those who seek a Master’s Degree in Education are driven by a dedication to the educational system as a whole. You thrive on the idea of facilitating change in your school and the community to improve the student experience and future educators. The foundational vision for the Eastern University, Master of Education is to prepare critically reflective teachers who are able to understand educational research and leverage it to improve the effectiveness of their teaching practice through the creation of optimal teaching environments for all students.
Now, with a unique suite of regionally accredited programs, you have the opportunity to choose the path that best aligns with your personal and career goals, all in shorter time than you may have ever imagined possible. The Curriculum & Instruction program is designed for secondary school teachers who are committed to improving the learning outcomes for their students. The comprehensive, specialized curriculum and concentrations focus on the motivations behind learning and equip you with the tools to create and shape opportunities for effective learning. This program will offer you a broad and comprehensive understanding of the Sri Lankan education system, while preparing you to facilitate positive change in your classroom.
Program Learning Outcomes
The Master of Educational program is guided by well-defined and appropriate educational objectives that differ substantially from undergraduate goals in their depth and complexity, and in their requirements for intellectual commitment and professional application. Graduate students are expected to know and be able to perform the following skills.
At the end of this course students will be able to;
- Plan curriculum and design instruction to enhance student learning.
- Participants demonstrate content knowledge, practice age-appropriate pedagogy, and design curriculum based on standards and knowledge of students’ achievement, development, and background.
- Engage and support all students in learning. Participants are able to engage all students in the learning process by the use of research-validated instructional strategies. They accommodate individual student’s needs and differentiate instruction to meet these needs. They practice professional reflection regarding their own instruction.
- Assess and evaluate student learning. Participants use multiple sources of formal and informal assessments to verify student learning, inform instruction, and communicate findings to appropriate individuals.
- Demonstrate professionalism to support student learning. Participants understand and act consistently with education laws and uphold the ethical policies of the University. They establish professional goals, reflect on teaching, and pursue opportunities to grow professionally.
- Participants build professional competence that will allow them to design and evaluate curriculum at the school, district, or state level.
- Participants build competencies for teaching by researching, implementing, and reflecting on models of instruction and instructional strategies.
- Participants develop proficiencies in selecting appropriate instructional models and methods to address specific learning objectives through lesson design.
- Participants understand how current research informs educational practice, including student assessment at the school, district, or state level.
- Participants build fluency in critically evaluating educational research, theory, and practice used in their daily professional work.
- As a result of maturing through these processes, students identify themselves as scholar educators and reflective practitioners.
There will be 11 courses in two semesters and the details are given in the following table. The students are requested to sit all courses during this period. All the courses are compulsory.
Status of the structure of Master of Educational programme