Dr. Singanayagam Umashankar
Dr. Singanayagam Umashankar
PhD in Language Assessment(University of Bedfordshire, UK)
MPhil in Language Assessment(University of Bedfordshire, UK)
M.A. in Linguistics (UoK)
MSc. in Food Preservation Technology (EUSL),
B.A. in English & English Language Teaching (OUSL),
BSc. in Bio Science (EUSL)
Senior Lecturer - Gr. II
TP: 0094 065 2240587 (Office), 0094 770739819 (Mob)
E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
No. 66/19, Bharathi Lane, 07th Cross ,Batticaloa,Sri Lanka
Tel: 0652057752/ 0770739819
Department of English Language Teaching,Faculty of Arts & Culture, Eastern University, Chenkalady, Sri Lanka
- BSc. in Bio Science (EUSL/ March 1995)
- M.A. in Linguistics (Uni. of Kelaniya/ January 2005)
- MSc. in Food Preservation Technology (EUSL/ May 2009)
- B.A. in English & English Language Teaching (OUSL/ August 2009)
- PhD in Language Assessment/ University of Bedfordshire, United Kingdom (Oct 2017)
- Specialist Teachers’ Trained Certificate in English / Peradeniya (February 2000)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Education / OUSL (August 2001)
- Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education / SEDA – UK, University of Colombo (2009)
- Teaching Knowledge Test Part I, II, III – University of Cambridge
(Module 1 / May 2006 – Module 2 & 3 / April 2006)
- Diploma in Translation (Merit) / Centre for Policy Alternatives (2007)
- Certificate in Teacher Educator as an Educational Technologist - Online course (2007) / (OUSL)
Publications and Presentations
- S.Umashankar (2022), A.F.A. Halik, G.M.Rifka Nusrath, Effectiveness of Using Picture Description Technique for Grammar: An experimental study, International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research and Growth Evaluation, Online publication, E-ISSN: 2582-7138.
- A.F.A Halik, G.M.Rifka Nusrath, S.Umashankar, Ethnic Conflicts in Sri Lanka: An Analytical Study Based on Post-colonial Sri Lankan English Literature, Online Publication, E-ISSN:2581-9615.
- A.F.A Halik, G.M.Rifka Nusrath, S.Umashankar (2022), Impact of Adult Age on Second Language Development: ESL Learners’ Challenges, Open Access Article, Rajasthali Journal, Volume 2, Issue 1, Oct – Dec 2022, ISBN 2583-1720.
- S.Umashankar (2020), Rejuvenating English Education through Policy Implementation, a News Paper Article, Sunday Observer, May 24, 2020,Colombo, Sri Lanka.Links:http://hdl.handle.net/10547/622531
- S.Umashankar (2022), Pandemic – Boon or Bane to Education?, a News Paper Article, Sunday Observer,
September 09, 2022, Colombo, Sri Lanka. http://www.sundayobserver.lk/2021/06/06/impact/pandemic-boon-or-bane-education
"EFFECTS OF GOAL SETTINGS ON THE EXPECTED OUTCOMES OF THE INDIVIDUAL COMPONENTS OF A HIGH-STAKES TEST."
The abstract is available here: https://aimr.tirdiconference.com/archive.php
Peer reviewed Presentations at National/ International Conferences/ Symposia – Published as full papers
- S.Umashankar (2020) Effects of Goal Settings on the Expected Outcomes of the Individual Components of a High-Stakes Test, 2nd Asia International Conference on Multidisciplinary Research 2020, 10th December 2020, Colombo Sri Lanka, pp 12-16. ISSN 2682-7271 online
Peer reviewed Presentations at National/ International Conferences/ Symposia – Published in abstract
- S.Umashankar (2019) Do only Policy Changes Bring Expected Outcomes to a System? A Washback Study Based on the English as a Life Skill Programme (ELSP), Proceedings, 2nd International Symposium on Social Sciences & Humanities (ISSSH), 12th – 13th December 2019, Colombo, Sri Lanka, pp 37. ISBN: 978-955-4978-07-2. Abstract: https://www.aimr.tirdiconference.com/assets/images/portfolio/Book-of-Abstracts-AIMR-20.pdf ,
- S.Umashankar (2021) Test Automation: Reliability Issues – A Review Study, Symposium Proceedings, Rajarata University International Symposium on English Language Teaching (RUISELT – 2021), 30th June 2021, Rajarata University of Sri Lanka, pp 14. ISSN 2792-1344.The Abstract is available here: http://www.rjt.ac.lk/RUISELT/about/Publications.php
- H.M.N.I. Herath, M.Sugirtharan and S.Umashankar (2022), Soil and Water Conservation in Hilly Areas: A Review, Proceedings of the 5th National Symposium on Agriculture (5th NSA 2022), 30th March 2022, Eastern University, Sri Lanka, pp 22.
- A.F.Abdul Halik, S.Umashankar (2021), Challenges in Pronouncing Words that Consist of Multiple Consonant Clusters: A Study Based on ESL Learners of NAITA, Kinniya, Sri Lanka, The Book of Abstracts, 9th International Symposium – 2022, 28th September 2022, South Eastern University of Sri Lanka, pp 12. ISBN: 978-624-5736-54-6.
- A.F.Abdul Halik, S.Umashankar (2021), ESL Learners’ Attitude Towards Learning English: A Study Based on Teachers’ Perspectives in the Selected Schools in the Trincomalee District, Sri Lanka, The Proceedings – 11th South Eastern University International Arts Research Symposium -2022, 06th December 2022. South Eastern University of Sri Lanka, pp 44. ISBN: 978-624-5736-64-5.
- M.Sugirtharan, S.Pathmarajah, A.Amuthenie, S.Umashankar and A.Janarth (2023), Potential Threats to the Batticaloa Lagoon Environment with Special Reference to the Wastewater Generating Pollution Sources: Proceedings of the International conference on Multidisciplinary Research (ICMR 2023) 03 – 04 January 2023, Eastern University, Sri Lanka, pp 15.
Chapters and Books of Scholarly Work
- A.K.H. Priyashantha, S.Umashankar (2021) Separation of DNA Fragments using Agarose Gel Electrophoresis; Protocol, Results, Principle and Possible Errors to Avoid (2021), Advances in Biotechnology and Bioscience, Volume -10, 2021, AkiNik Publications, Delhi, India, pp 45 – 60. ISBN: 978-93-5570-073-5.
- M.Kalaimathy, S.Umashankar, A.K.H.Priyashantha (2022) Microbial Keratinases: An Overview of Structural Characteristics, Biochemical Properties, Degradation Mechanism and Their Potential Industrial Applications, Research in Microbiology, Volume - 6, 2022, AkiNik Publications, Delhi, India, pp 83 – 104. ISBN: 978-93-5570-158-9.
Translation of scholarly work
- Management of Patients with Medically Unexplained Symptoms – A Practical Guide: Translated from English to Tamil for a partial fulfillment of the requirement for the Diploma in Translation conducted by the Vibhasa, Centre for Policy Alternatives, Colombo.
- Harmful Effects of Genetically Modified Food by Sue Brandford: Translated from English to Tamil for a magazine ‘Third Eye’.
- Second Language Acquisition Vs Second Language Learning
- Washback of Language Tests
- Washback to Lerning Outcomes
- Exploring Language Assessment and Testing
- Learning Environment Vs Language Acquisition and Learning
- Aligning Common Sri Lankan Frameworks of Reference in Language Testing
- Formative and Summative Assessment in Second Language Teaching and Learning
- Head of the Department of English Language Teaching ,Facutly of Arts and Culture
Previous Employment/ Position:
- Temporary Demonstrator- Department of Zoology / EUSL (March 1996)
- Person in Charge of Certificate in English conducted for candidates in the Eastern Province by EUSL
- Visiting Lecturer in English at the OUSL / Batticaloa Regional Centre
- Former Coordinator / ELTU / EUSL
- Involved in English Language Teaching since 1992 in the government schools until 2003 and at the EUSL since 2003