Welcome to Department of Islamic Studies.
The Department of Islamic Studies is one of the first Departments in the Faculty of Arts & Culture of The Eastern University of Sri Lanka. This department has been established in 1982 along with the inception of the Batticaloa University College. The department under takes only B.A. degree programme from 1982 until today. The number of students passed out offered Islamic Studies as one of the main subjects with other subjects without the opportunity to do a Honours degree in Islamic Studies. Religions streamline human beings to become a better man in the society. In this regard Islam is one of the prominent religions which should be practiced throughout the life of any human being. Islam is one of the common religions that everyone can leave many things from it. It develops the spiritual personality of a man. Hence the study of Islam is essential to the human.
The department of Islamic Studies encourages the quality of the students’ intake. The department continuous to progress, uplifts, & diversifies the teaching experience that would enable to provide the best of education to the community. The department of Islamic Studies is proud of achievements of the staff and students community of the standard of the powerful graduate output.
- To practice the students with the following qualities spiritual up graduation, attitute development, inter religion harmony, special upbringing and critical thinking,
- To explain, acquire and understand the principles of Islam, To value Islamic teachings and studies of personality development,
- To record the orgin of Islamic History, To identify the life of prophet Mohammed (PBUH),
- To discuss the Islamic Da’wa movements for revival of Islam in Sri Lanka,
- To indentify the relations between the holy Quran and modern Sciences,
- To arrange compilation skills about modern sciences with Quran,
- To apply the ethical code of Islam based on holy Quran and Sunna
Intended Learning Outcomes
After completion of the courses of Islamic Studies students will be able to :
- explain the principles of Islam
- practice the life of prophet Mohammad (PBUH)
- identify the relations of the Quran and modern sciences,
- apply the ethical code of Islam based on holy Quran and Sunna,
- analyze religious, social, economic, educational and political changes in the modern Muslim world,
- evaluate similarities and differences among the religions.